BEST TAMIL CHAT FORUM & TAMIL VOICE CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEST TAMIL CHAT FORUM & TAMIL VOICE CHAT

WORLD NO.1 TAMIL VOICE & VIDEO CHAT ROOM

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inAbout My City Button10

About My City

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vasulav

vasulav

About My City Empty
PostSubject: About My City   About My City Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:18 am

Attur
Attur is a town, municipality and capital of Attur Taluk in the Salem district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India.
Etymology
The name of the town derives from the word "Aaru", meaning "river" - Vasishta Nadi (literally, Attur "the river town").
History
C.Lakshmana Nayakan (17th Century), local Palayakarar, built the fort. Gatti Mudalis built the temples inside the fort.
Economy
Attur is the main shopping center for the neighboring region. Attur region is principally an agricultural area. Attur is also famous for tapioca (cassava roots), and there are several tapioca-based industries today which manufacture products like "javvarisi" (sago) for markets all over India. It has many medicinal plant cultivars. Some of them are MGP (Coleus-medicinal plant), south India herbs (coleus).
Attur is one of the four places in India to produce hybrid seeds (Cotton, BT Cotton) on an Industrial scale. Attur town is underdeveloped for its potential, much to blame the law makers of that region and bad entrepreneurial spirit of the sago factory owners who don't want to invest in the town development fearing competition in wealth accumulation.
Transportation
Attur is on NH 45. Attur is well connected with Salem on the west at 55 kilometers and Kallakuruchi on the east (north-east) at 45 kilometers on the Coimbatore-Chennai highway with a number of bus routes.
Private buses are being operated between Attur and nearby towns/villages. TAMIL NADU State run corporation, formerly known as Anna Transport Corporation (ATC), in Salem district compete with private buses in that area.
Train services are also available between Attur to Salem, Attur to Virudhachalam, Attur to Chennai. The frequency of operation is very low; one on each direction in the morning and one in the evening. The Cuddalore to Bangalore services is expected to start soon.
Attur has many freight services including Southern Roadways Ltd (TVS), ABT, ARC and other daily transporters. In Attur, the TVS branch was run by Late Mr. K.R. Ramanathan Iyer, from 1950 till 1993.
Attur is landlocked and depends on the Port of Chennai for most oceangoing freight.
Chennai International Airport,Thrichy Airport and Salem handles cargo/passenger regional/international.
Back to top Go down

About My City
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BEST TAMIL CHAT FORUM & TAMIL VOICE CHAT  :: GENERAL, POLITICS,CINEMA & SPORTS :: Break News-
Jump to: