Masoor Dal : 1 Cup Garam Masala : 2 tsp Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp Cooking Oil : 5 tbsp Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds : 1 tsp Garlic pods : 8-10 nos Green Chillies : 2 nos Curry leaves : 2 sprigs Coconut Milk : 1/2 Cup Corriander leaves : for garnishing Salt to taste
1) Wash Masoor Dal ( 1 Cup ). Drain water and add 2 tsp garam masala, ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt.
2) Soak this mixture for 10 mins ( Don’t add water )
3) In a Kadhai, add cooking oil ( 5 tbsp ) and heat it. Add ½ tsp Mustard seeds, 1 tsp Cumin seeds, 8-10 peeled garlic pods and 2 nos slit green chillie
4) Saute till the garlic is golden brown and then add the soaked dal mixture and curry leaves. Saute well for 5 mins in medium flame. Be careful as it may burn. The soaked dal has to blend well with the oil.
5) Once the dal is shiny, add water and cook for 10 mins or until the dal is very soft but not mashed like the other yellow dal. Pls dont use cooker to boil this dal as it cooks too soon.
6) Add ½ cup of thick coconut milk to this dal and allow to boil for 5 mins. Not more than that.
7) Switch off, add coriander leaves and serve after 10 mins.
Health Benefits : Can have with Roti and Rice. But in rice it is very tasty. This may be a little bitter, but the bitterness is nothing when compared to Bitter Gourd. But this is 3 times more healthy than the Yellow Toor Dal. It is full of Iron and calcium which is very essential for growing kids and mothers. Cooking dis dal weekly twice atleast will make ur family a healthy family