1. Never give out your personal information in a chat room.
2. Never agree to meet a stranger in person whom you met in a chat room.
3. When you're asked to enter or sign up for a chat nickname, choose a name that doesn't give away your personal information. For example, you might use SassySue instead of DetroitSue.
4. Be wary of other chatters who ask you to meet in private chat rooms.
5. Check the terms and conditions, code of conduct, and privacy statement at the chat site before you begin to chat.
It is wise to not give out personal information such as location, email address, phone number or even your real first and last name to any chat user until you are entirely convinced that the person is “safe”. Since we do not carry a registration of all users, please be very wise in this matter and use your discretion. Never give out the personal information of another user.
Occasionally, we have troublemakers in the room. If a Moderator is not present, select the name of the person and check “ignore” user box. That way, you can still chat, but you cannot see anything they say. Remember, they can see everything you say. This will work for multiple users if you select each user name, and click “ignore”. (To “un-ignore”, click their name and “allow”—the ignore button changes to say “ignore” or “allow” depending on what you have selected for a user)