Sabudana also known as Tapioca makes a great Khichdi. This recipe is mildly spiced and peanuts give it a light crunch. Tapioca khichdi is great for breakfast or as a snack and it tastes delicious.
This is a great gluten free dish.
Recipe for 3 to 4.
Sabudana Khichdi (Spicy Tapioca)Ingredients:
* 1 1/2 cups tapioca (sabudana)
* 1/2 cup broken raw peanuts (mungfali)
* 1/2 cup green peas (hari matar)
* 2 green chilies sliced long ways
* 3 tablespoons oil
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
* 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
* 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
* 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* About 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
1. Gently wash then soak tapioca (sabudana) in about 1/2 cup of water for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Roast the peanuts on medium heat, until they are lightly brown. Keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away then oil is ready.
4. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds after seeds crack add green chilies and stir for a few seconds.
5. Next add the green peas and stir fry until peas are tender.
6. Add the soaked tapioca (sabudana) and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes ,
7. Add turmeric, and salt and stir fry on medium heat continuously until tapioca (sabudana) becomes translucence, looks like pearls. Stir gently and making sure tapioca doesn’t get sticky and stuck to each other. This should take about 6 to 7 minutes.
8. Add peanuts, lemon juice and cilantro (hara dhania), stir gently.
9. Serve hot and ENJOY!
1. To save time soak the tapioca in warm water for about 2 to 3 hours water should not be hot.
2. If you don’t stir continuously tapioca will stick to each other.